The ultimate guide to Social Media sizes
A picture tells a thousand words; to maximise impact on every platform and for every device, it’s essential to nail the perfect visual.
Every post needs an explosive image to captivate viewers and boost engagement; we’ll cover the size guide, you get the creative juices flowing.
We’ve created the ultimate guide to Social Media images sizes to equip you with a fast and simple reference to ensure you won’t disappoint your audience:
Twitter is an essential tool, for promotion, insight and brand loyalty and is the #1 platform for discovery. Hashtags build momentum and encourage your posts to go viral.
If you’re a brand, your profile image should be a clear pic of your company’s logo:
- Profile picture size: 400px x 400px (JPG, PNG or GIF)
The Header photo is pretty self-explanatory, it’s the image which sits at the top of your profile:
- Header: 1500px x 500px (JPG, PNG)
Every tweet should include an image. Tweets with an image are 34% more likely to get a retweet:
- Shared image sizes: 600px x 335px (JPG, PNG or GIF)
- Shared link graphic sizes: 800px x 418px (1:91:1 aspect ratio) (JPG, PNG or GIF)
Cards should have rich, eye-catching imagery:
- Card images: 144px x 144px (JPG, PNG, WEBP and GIF)
Facebook boasts over 1.6 billion users and is able to target an exact demographic – it’s a powerful marketing tool for businesses of all sizes; no wonder it’s the leading social network platform.
Your profile image should be a clear on-brand photo or logo:
- Profile picture size: 170px x 170px (desktop) and 128px x 128px (smartphones) (JPEG, PNG)
Use a little imagination when adding a cover photo. It’s a great way of humanising your brand with a picture of your team. Alternatively, reiterate your brand image with some relevant creative:
- Cover photo size: 820px x 312px (An RGB JPG file less than 100KB gives best results and images with logo and/or text are best as a PNG file)
The more engagement you get with a shared image, the more likely it is to have a greater reach:
- Shared image sizes: 1200px x 630px
There are two options with image links. They can either feature as a square with text beside it or alternatively as a large rectangle with text below. Image links allow more info to be shared, this includes a headline, display link and meta-description:
- Shared link graphic sizes: 1200px x 630px
Carousel ads should feature between 3-5 visually captivating images:
- Feed carousel: 1080px x 1080 px
With 25 million business profiles on Instagram and 200 million users visiting at least one business profile every day, it’s vital to put a face to your brand.
- Profile picture size: 110px x 110px (min.)
- Shared image sizes and videos: 1080px x 1080px
- Shared link graphic sizes – photo thumbnails: 110px x 110px
- Instagram Stories: 1080px x 1920px
With 4 billion Pinterest boards, it’s no surprise it’s the social network where people can find inspiration and ideas for their interests and hobbies. It’s great for driving referral traffic and 90% of Pinterest pages are external links. There’s a higher chance of getting ‘referred’ if your image sizes are up to scratch:
- Profile picture size: 165px x 165px
- Board cover image: 222px x 150px
- Shared image size: Expanded Pin: 236px x scaled height
- Shared link graphic sizes – 735px x 1102px (pin preview); 600px x 600px (board display)
LinkedIn; the ‘social networking site for business’, is one of the fastest-growing social platforms. On average, two people create an account on this platform every second. The platform sees 172,800 new users every day and about 62 million new users every year.
- Profile picture size: 400px x 400px, 300px x 300px (company logo), 60px x 60px (square logo)
- Background/cover image: 1584px x 396px
- Business cover image: 1536px x 768px
- Banner image for company pages: 646px x 220px
- Hero Image: 1128px x 376px
- Shared Image Sizes: LinkedIn personal profile / company page: 1104x x 736px
- Shared link graphic sizes: 1104px x 736px
With 97% of marketers claiming that video helps customers understand the product and increase audience engagement, it’s no surprise that YouTube is an essential business tool.
- Profile picture size: 800px x 800px
- YouTube cover photo: Display varies by device; 2560px x 1440px (desktop), 1546px x 423px (safe area for mobile and web, without text and logo cropping
- Shared image sizes: 16:9 aspect ratio (video); to qualify for HD: 3840px x 2160px
- Shared link graphic sizes: Custom video thumbnail: 1280px x 720px
The power of infographic: Tumblr has been ranked #1 in social sentiment towards brands. Without sentiment, data can be misleading. It is an essential tool to measure content and brand success and to narrow down your target audience.
- Profile picture size: 128px x 128px
- Header: 3000px x 1055px
- Shared Image Sizes: 500px x 750px
Medium is a foundation for free-access high-quality content and enables you to reach beyond the existing brand audience and syndicates your popular content.
- 60px x 60px (publication avatar), 1000px x 500px (max.) (logo image)
- Background image: 1500px x 750px
- Shared image sizes: 1400px wide (full column-width), 2040px wide (out-set), 500px wide (screen-width)
- Shared link graphic sizes: Will pull story header image or profile image
TikTok has grown exponentially in the short time it has been around by focusing on user-generated and authentic content which is on-trend, by building communities and driving engagement.
- Profile picture size: 200px x 200px
- Header image: TikTok 900px x 300px
- Shared image sizes: 1:1 or 4:5 aspect ratio (video); 1080px x 1920px